Many women choose abortion because they are overwhelmed, scared and see no other way out. It is a difficult time. Other reasons women choose abortion are:
- They believe they would never be able to financially care for a child
- They see their plans thwarted – i.e. college, career
- They are afraid what their parents would say
- They feel they are too young to be a parent
It is important to have an ultrasound prior to an abortion to be sure the baby is in the uterus. Come in for an ultrasound and for more information and education on abortions.
There are medical and surgical abortion procedures. The types of abortion that may be available depend on factors such as how far along a woman is in her pregnancy.
- Morning after Pill – Plan B is intended to prevent pregnancy after known or suspected contraceptive failure or unprotected sex. Side effects may include changes in periods, nausea, lower abdominal pain, fatigue, headache and dizziness.
- RU-486 (The Abortion Pill) – This drug is FDA approved for use in women up to 49 days after their last menstrual period. This procedure requires 3 office visits. Risks associated with medical abortions:
- Bleeding: vaginal bleeding lasts for an average of 9 – 16 days; 1 in 100 women bleed enough to require surgery (D&C) to stop the bleeding.
- Infection: According to the FDA, “Cases of serious bacterial infection, including very rare cases of fatal septic shock, have been reported.”
- Undiagnosed ectopic (tubal) pregnancy: The abortion pill will not work in the case of an ectopic pregnancy where the embryo lodges outside the uterus, usually in the fallopian tube. If not diagnosed early, there could be a risk of the tube bursting, internal hemorrhage and death in some cases.
- Failed abortion: Ru-486 fails in 8% of uses in pregnancy up to 49 days gestation. A surgical abortion is usually done to complete a failed medication abortion.
- Surgical abortion methods:
- 1st trimester suction abortion is done throughout the first trimester.
- Dilation & evacuation is done the 2nd trimester of pregnancy.
- Late term abortion – this procedure typically takes 2 – 3 days and is associated with increased risk to the life and health of the mother.
- Surgical abortion carries the risk of significant complication such as bleeding & infections. Serious medical complication occur infrequently in early abortions, but increase with later abortions.
We do not perform abortions or refer for abortions.
Make an Appointment